Thursday, June 28, 2012

Results Are In

Yesterday evening (my 34th birthday) I got a phone call from Genetics that confirmed a diagnosis of OI for Maggie.  They think she has either Type III or Type IV.  When Mike got home he called them back for the specifics.  I, of course, didn't want to ask those types of questions.  I'm okay knowing that she has it and moving on with living our life.  She seems so healthy and strong, I just don't want to cloud our lives with thoughts of things she might not be able to do.  There is a lot of crazy stuff out there on the internet.....
I'd rather assume she will be able to do everything because I think it's better for all of us.

Plus, being the eternal optimist, I basically believe that everything will be okay until it isn't.

It is a very odd feeling and I can't even really put words to it.  Sometimes I think back to when I was pregnant or when she was born, and everything seemed so simple.  You really take things for granted until something life changing happens. 
With that said, I'm looking at my sweet little girl sleeping here and I know that she has no clue this is all going on.  She is just a child.  How she is treated will determine how she lives her life.
We have a long, difficult road ahead of us. Being a Special Ed Teacher I know what lies ahead for her physically and, even more worrisome, emotionally.  I think maybe this is what worries me most.  You don't want your children to hurt in any way, and mine will be hurting both physically and emotionally.

So, I have my moments but I know that there is nothing we can do but make her life the happiest it can possibly be.
I've never believed this more:

Life is what you make it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment