Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ho Hum, The Zoo, Volunteer Spotlight, I'm Really Movin'

Hello there!

Ho Hum
Lately I've been humming a lot!  I hum during the day, in the morning when I wake up and when I'm not so awake, and before I go to sleep.  My mommy laughs because she remembers doing a lot of humming  herself when she was little.  She says she thinks that it's because I'm going to be a musical genius and I'm just practicing.  She also thinks it's because I am learning how to talk because I am, again, a genius.  I don't know people, there's nothing I can do about her.  I guess I should just get used to it because we've got a long way to go together!!

The Zoo
I went to the zoo the other day.  Here's a picture of us in front of the carousel.  One day I'm gonna ride that thing!  I can't wait...



Volunteer Spotlight
Hey, hey!  We're featured in this month's OIF newsletter.  Take a look at the article below!  If you would like to be added to their eNews listserv just go to www.oif.org and click subscribe on the left.  They have tons of great information and OI news each month.  

Volunteer Spotlight: Jessica Sheridan
Maggie and parents.JPG
Maggie with her parents, Jessica and Mike.

Three months ago, Illinois residents Jessica and Mike Sheridan’s baby girl was admitted to the hospital with several broken bones.  After receiving a diagnosis of osteogenesis imperfecta, Jessica felt her world turn upside down, “We've never had a major health concern in our family, so hearing Maggie's diagnosis was a real shock to us all.”  While wading through the information, trying to find answers and treatment options, Jessica heard about the OI Foundation’s upcoming national Blue Jeans for Better Bones day.  She signed up to hold her own day and then she took it one step further.  She called OIF Development Coordinator, Melissa Bonardi and asked if she could create an online donation page for her Blue Jeans day since she had a lot of friends on Facebook and a blog where she could share the link.  As Melissa explains, “I’ll never turn down a volunteer who wants to make their event bigger and broader reaching so I happily made a page for Maggie Shae’s Blue Jeans for Better Bones.”
Within days, the link was shared on Jessica’s blog and Facebook page as well as being picked up by the Facebook group “12” who are committed to participating in twelve charities in twelve months. Donations were coming in from several states – including Arizona and Alaska – and two of Jessica’s relatives decided to hold their own BJBB day in honor of Maggie Shae in Michigan and Ohio.  Jessica was stunned by the outpouring of support, “I think that the success we've had for BJBB day is a true testament of the love and support that Maggie, my husband and I receive each day from our loving friends and family.” As to why she decided to hold a BJBB day, Jessica explained, “We all just feel very passionate about helping since there isn't a lot of awareness about OI. We want a cure and we will do everything we can to try to get that accomplished.”
It doesn’t take much to make a difference.  If you are interested in holding an event for the OIF – no matter how big or small – contact Melissa Bonardi at mbonardi@oif.org or 301-947-0083 x31 to find out how. 

I'm Really Movin'
I am really moving around like crazy now!  I am always trying to get both feet in my mouth.  I wiggle and wiggle back and forth, and sometimes all the way over, until I wiggle right off the blanket or play mat (just a few minutes ago I wiggled under the coffee table!).  I talk and yell or grunt and make sounds until someone does what I want, but I can also be very calm and serious. I am a very sweet girl though.  Mostly I like to just hang out and play with my friends, don't we all?! 


"Okay guys, this tummy time is fun and all, but you need to show me how to do this sitting up all by myself!"




No comments:

Post a Comment